Government Extends Flood Assistance Support to NSW Communities
New South Wales, Australia (News4us.com) April 13, 2011
Attorney-General Robert McClelland today announced the Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment (AGDRP) will be extended to the North Western Region and Mid Western Regional Local Government Area in New South Wales
The North Western Region covers the Local Government Areas of Bogan, Bourke, Brewarrina, Cobar, Coonamble, Dubbo City, Gilgranda, Narromine, Walgett, Warren, Warrumbungle and Wellington. Mr McClelland said these areas had been affected by floodwaters flowing from Queensland this year.
“These one-off payments will see $1000 for each eligible adult and $400 for each eligible child in the hands of families in need,” Mr McClelland said. “The AGDRP is designed to provide assistance to people who have been adversely affected by these floodwaters. Eligibility criteria applies.
“A number of other LGAs in northern NSW are also eligible for the AGDRP.”
The AGDRP is available to people in declared areas:
- whose principal place of residence has been destroyed, or;
- whose principal place of residence sustained major damage, or;
- who was unable to gain access to their principal place of residence for a period of 24 hours or more, or;
- who was stranded in their principal place of residence for a period of 24 hours or more, or;
- whose principal place of residence was without electricity, water, gas, sewerage services or another essential service for at least 48 hours (a utility failure) and the utility failure was caused by damage to public or private infrastructure, or;
- who was seriously injured, or;
- who is the immediate family member of an Australian who died as a direct result of the disaster, or;
- who is a principal carer of a dependent child who has experienced any of the above.
“This assistance is over and above the support being provided by the Australian Government through the Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA), which is providing financial and practical assistance to people affected by the heavy rainfall and associated flooding,” Mr McClelland said.
For information about the Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment, call the Government’s Emergency Hotline on 180 2266. More information is also available at www.disasterassist.gov.au
Short URL: http://www.news4us.com/?p=9855