NHTSA Presents 17 Awards at the 29th Annual Lifesavers Conference
Phoenix, (News4us.com) March 28, 2011
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) today presented awards at the 29th Annual Lifesavers Conference to 17 individuals and groups for their exemplary achievement in promoting highway safety across America.
“While we will never rest, the hard work of our awardees and organizations like Lifesavers is helping to make traveling on America’s roads safer than ever before,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood.
NHTSA Administrator David Strickland, who was on hand for the three-day safety meeting, presented the awards at a luncheon ceremony in the Phoenix Convention Center.
“Our award winners exemplify the highest standards of achievement in the field of traffic safety,” said Administrator Strickland. “We are seeing major progress in a whole range of safety areas thanks to the professionalism, dedication and energy of our award winners and thousands like them in communities all across the country.”
He added, “As far as we’ve come, we still have a long way to go and we will continue to rely on the work of people and groups like our awardees today who give of themselves tirelessly and selflessly on behalf of highway safety.”
Lifesavers is a national non-profit organization made of diverse private and public groups and individuals who share a common goal of improving highway safety. Its annual meetings provide a forum for safety advocates to discuss the latest advances in highway safety.
The 17 award winners, and their plaque citations, are as follows:
Safety Champion Award
Janette Fennell, Founder and President, KidsAndCars.org, Leawood, Kansas.
Public Service Awards
- Lt. Jonlee Anderle, Laramie Police Department, Laramie, Wyoming.
- Jerold Cibley, Traffic Safety Advocate, Foxboro, Massachusetts.
- Beth Ebel, M.D., M.P.H., Director, Harborview Injury Prevention & Research Center, Seattle, Washington.
- The Honorable Linda Gray, Arizona State Senator, District 10, Phoenix, Arizona.
- James R. Hanni, Executive Vice President, AAA Allied Group, Topeka, Kansas.
- David C. Huff, Director, Montana Traffic Education Programs, Office of Public Instruction, Helena, Montana.
- Patrick James, Traffic Safety Advocate, Greer, South Carolina.
- LaVonne King, Indian Reservation Roads Technician, Northern Cheyenne Tribe, Lame Deer, Montana.
- Cathy L. Lanier, Chief, Metropolitan Police Department, Washington, D.C.
- Robert Lillis, President, Evalumetrics Research, Canandaigua, New York.
- Matthew Mento, Digital Account Executive, ESPN, Chicago, Illinois.
- The Honorable Deb Miller, Secretary of Transportation, Topeka, Kansas.
- New York City Department of Transportation, New York, New York.
- Ohio Strategic Transportation Safety Plan Committee, Ohio Department of Transportation, Columbus, Ohio.
- Jevon Thoresen, Account Executive, ESPN, Chicago, Illinois.
- The Honorable Dwayne Umbarger, Kansas State Senator, District 14, Thayer, Kansas.
Short URL: http://www.news4us.com/?p=8821